Tribological Consulting And Lab Services
The materials testing lab at Nova Werke AG offers testing and consulting services both for internal research and development and external customers.
Wear and friction measurement at Nova Swiss
At Nova laboratory we can conduct several tribological systems to investigate coatings and surface engineered materials subjected to friction and wear for their application in harsh environments, e.g. elevated temperature, high humidity, high loading stress and high speed.
Our dedication to the highest levels of customer service and excellence helps us to solve complex wear and friction problems related to coating solutions. Independent of what our customer requires; extending product’s life time, reducing downtime, or optimizing the material performance and reliability,
our tribology set-ups can be used according to several standardized procedures (mainly: ASTM “American Society for Testing and Materials”, DIN “Deutsches Institut für Normung”, and ISO “International Organization for Standardization), or we tailor our testing programs to meet our customers’ individual needs, whether they regularly test just a few samples or need us to analyze thousands of samples to screen and/or simulate a particular application.
Wear Testing Facilities
The Tribology laboratory is well equipped to cover a wide range of tribological systems to simulate industrial friction and wear problems at different scales. Here are some of our tribometers and testing set-ups:
1. High frequency oscillating tribometer "SRV" (DIN 51834)
Standard test method for measuring the friction and wear properties of lubricating oils using the SRV test machine
2. Pin-On-Disk (POD) or Ball on Disk tribometer (ASTM G 99)
Standard test method for wear testing with a pin-on-disk apparatus.
3. Block-on-Ring under atmospheric conditions and elevated temperatures (ASTM G 77)
Standard test method for ranking the resistance of materials to sliding wear using block-on-ring wear test.
4. Solid particle erosion test (ASTM G 76), (high-temperature optional)
Standard test method for conducting erosion tests by solid particle impingement using gas jets.
5. High pressure liquid (with/without solid particle) impingement erosion test (ASTM G 73 and 76)
A combination of the standard test method for liquid impingement erosion and the standard test method for conducting erosion tests by solid particle impingement.
6. Slurry abrasion test / Miller test (ASTM G 75)
Standard test method for determination of slurry abrasivity (miller number) and slurry abrasion response of materials (SAR number).
7. Cavitation erosion vibratory tribometer (ASTM G 32)
Standard test method for cavitation erosion using vibratory apparatus.
8. Abrasion test with dry sand and rotating rubber wheel (Rubber Wheel Abrasion Test, ASTM G 65)
Standard test method for determining abrasion resistance with dry sand and rotating rubber wheel.
9. Determination of shear load resistance of thermally sprayed coatings (EN 15340)
Standard test method to characterize the adhesion and cohesion of thermally sprayed coatings.